Tuesday, August 25, 2009

New recipe to share

Today I had the desire to try out a new low-fat cookie recipe. I wanted to try a recipe which called for part applesauce and part butter. I searched online and found what appeared to be a good recipe for low-fat chocolate chip cookies. I whipped up the batter and then discovered that the recipe called for no butter! I wondered how cookies without butter ( I love it ) could truly satisfy my desire for the sweets. I decided to venture forward and to at least give them a fighting chance.

The cookies were baked and both Luke and I tried them out. The verdict: surprisingly good cookies for ones that contain no oil or butter. So, I wanted to share this recipe for anyone who wishes to try them out for themselves.

These cookies are actually good. This is coming from someone who knows her full-fat sweets like no one else.

Low-Fat Chocolate Chip Cookies

3 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce (I made some quick, homemade applesauce by boiling one cut up apple in some water until softened)
1/2 cup fat free sour cream
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 egg whites
1 12-ounce package dark chocolate chips
1/3 cup chopped walnuts
1/3 cup chopped pecans (I left both nuts out but they would be great in the cookies and would add some protein!)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a large mixing bowl, mix the applesauce, sour cream, sugars, vanilla, and egg whites until blended. In another bowl mix the four, salt, and baking soda. Mix the dry ingredients in with the wet ingredients. Add the nuts and chocolate chips.

Place the cookies onto a cooking sheet (lined with parchment paper) in tablespoons about 2 inches apart (the cookies do not spread out much at all). Bake for 9-11 minutes or until the edges of the cookies are just golden brown. Remove from pan and cool on a cooling rack.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment