Monday, January 25, 2010

Grandmas's coctail ring diamond

My grandmother loved her jewelery. Diamonds were no exception. She had this beautiful cocktail ring that she wore on her right hand. When she passed away she left one of each of the larger diamonds from this ring to myself and my sister. Years ago my sister had her diamond set into a yellow gold setting that suits her very well. My mom had my diamond set into a traditional yellow gold solitaire setting to wear along with her wedding band. My mom is not big into jewelery so this ring has resided peacefully in her wooden jewelery box.

The setting that my diamond is in is not right for me for a few reasons. Firstly, it is yellow gold and I exclusively wear silver or white gold jewelry. Secondly, it doesn't fit any fingers on my right hand (the one I would like to devote to this beauty). And thirdly, the diamond sits a little too high for me to wear on a daily basis.

I have decided that I would like to go to jeweler and talk about possibly settings that would suit me. I am looking into white gold and titanium. I surprised by how much titanium looks like white gold. It is highly durable, lightweight, and is much cheaper than white or yellow gold.

Do you have ideas for the setting for my diamond? It is about 3/4 of a carat in size. I am going to go to John Marxhausen Jewelry Design in Duluth and see what they could do for me. Let me know if you have any other thoughts! Thanks....

Note: here is a link to a tension ring setting that I really like.

{this is a picture of my grandmother's cocktail ring, minus a few diamonds}


{ this is the ring that contains my diamond - it is a shame to have to take it out of a such a pretty setting but the gold can be melted down and transformed into yet another new ring}


{please look over my dry white knuckles (as if you aren't drawn to the diamond...)}

1 comment:

  1. its soo pretty. I cant wait to see what you end up doing with it!

    ReplyDelete